Every April, The Month of the Young Child, MECC partners with other agencies and professionals in our community to hold a day long fair that celebrates the children in our community and their families. This effort represents thousands of volunteer hours from community members and is free to families in our community. Not only is it fun, with drawings for prizes, entertainment by community members, face painting, “goo” play, and more, but it is also helpful and informative. Almost 300 people attended our third annual fair in April of 2013.
For example, families can
- Gather information about safety issues, ECE settings, etc.
- Have their children fingerprinted
- Have their children fitted for bicycle helmets and purchase them at a reasonable price
- Have their infants and toddlers properly fitted for car seats, and have these installed by an expert
- Have their children birth through five years of age screened for developmental milestones, as well as hearing and vision
- Have their children screened for height and weight
- Have an oral screening done on their children and varnish application by a dentist and hygienist
…AND MUCH MORE – so come on out next April!